Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Science of Shopping

1. The most important points from the article are that shoppers are predictable and because of this stores can then be changed so that they are sell the most products to the most people (by watching people in many stores on video cameras). People tend to walk to the right or on the right side of stores or isles.

2.I think that I am influenced by a stores design because the way in which it is designed changes how much of the store I see when looking for the things I had planned on buying. The atmosphere of a store also changes how I would shop in a store: if it is over the top with lighting, music and smells, I would not want to stay long or at all; whereas if a store were too bland, I would also not want to shop there for very long.

3.Analyzing a retail store:
-the store has an appropriate atmosphere (smell, sounds, lighting) for the products being sold and the image the store has.
-Important products are not put in the front of the store so that people move farther into the store
-That products that would appeal to people with similar interests be placed near each other

No comments:

Post a Comment